The San Mateo County Event Center and the San Mateo County Fair (SMCEC) are closely monitoring the Coronavirus (COVID-19), the information provided by officials, and impact. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the immediate risk of this virus to the American public is believed to be low at this time; however, the SMCEC team has increased protocols, training, and communication surrounding the concern. As a host venue to many events, SMCEC respects that some events may choose to cancel, or we may opt cancellation action during this fluid set of unprecedented circumstances.
At this time, one event is canceled for this weekend as an appropriate response to encouraging public safety. Unless otherwise noticed, the schedule of events remains unchanged. Current information, including event status, will be updated ongoing on www.smcec.co .
Via updates by the CDC, the California Department of Public Health, and San Mateo County Health, as well as County Offices, we are tracking the latest information. Immediate steps to promote safety at our venue include: providing more hand sanitizer stations, educational handwashing signage, increased disinfecting frequency with renewed attention to commonly used objects, and a commitment to provide ongoing training to staff and partners regarding best practices that foster a healthy environment. SMCEC is communicating precautionary measures and preventative actions (outlined below).
Everyone is urged to practice precautions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Resources and updates on COVID-19: